Monday, November 29, 2010

Field Trip...

On Tuesday, November 23rd I did a whole bunch of drawing, despite the fact that the bus for the field trip was really, really late. On the way to the Walker Art Museum I figured that I would practice my cross contour skills by making up (and drawing) some kind of buttress root system (pictured below, Figure 1). There are places in the drawing that represent what I was going for relatively well, and there are places that it doesn’t work so well. A few of the lines “cross” their “contours”, but only a few. 
 Figure 1

Once we arrived at the Walker I drew sketches of two works that I enjoyed, or that caught my eye. The first (pictured below, Figure 2) is a sketch of Alec Soth’s Cadillac Motel. I should mention that I changed the colors. Originally the piece is a photograph, consisting of variations of white, red, grey, and yellow (but I didn’t have any of those markers on me so…). I like the way Alec Soth saw the “beauty” in the rectilinear forms that made up the hotel front. That and the (original) colors are very cool due to the snow on the ground.

 Figure 2

The second sketch (pictured below, Figure 3) was of Nelson Leirner’s Homenagem A Fontana II. This piece is made of cloth, and instead of seams there are zippers holding the different colored cloths together. I just liked the colors and the zippers. 

 Figure 3

Finally we went to the Natural Science Museum and drew from the stuffed animals there. There were so many interesting animals that I wish we would have spent the whole day there. I tried drawing an owl which didn’t work out so well, so I drew a duck in the water, which in my opinion turned out better. Looking back at the duck drawing (pictured below, Figure 4) I could have drawn his “cheek” a convex instead of concave, but I think most of the other choices that I made worked in the end.

 Figure 4

I also drew a Morel mushroom (pictured below, Figure 5).

Figure 5

4 comments:

  1. Hey Alec, Nice compilation of sketches! I always look forward to to seeing what you are working on. I totally appreciate your sketches from the Walker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your cross contours on your duck drawing. The bill especially is very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! you were really busy! It's nice to see that you took the time to sit and sketch a little bit at the Walker, I felt like we were slightly rushed. I really enjoy the contour drawing of the duck, very nice attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with all the above posts! You definitely have ambition that I didn't have on the day of the field trip! Nice job! The head and beak of the duck is probably my favorite

    ReplyDelete