Monday, September 27, 2010

...

And in the third week god said let there be life… and it was drawn… this was our first week of class with a model to work from. I have done some life drawing before in Tim Tozers drawing two class. But back then I didn’t really understand how much the spine truly curves, which is definitely why my drawings were pretty crappy that day. Having drawn the skeleton the week before, I feel that the model was a little bit easier to draw.


We did tons of minute long gestural drawings, and slowly we were given more time which resulted in more and more detail. I learned how the position of the hips affects the entire position of the human body. Our gestural drawings were meant to have little detail of form, and portray proportion, but I can’t say that I had succeeded in this more often than not.
I had a much easier time drawing the model when she lay down and we had a full thirty minutes (above) to draw her. I believe that this drawing was my best this semester. I think my line weights show form and depth well, and my use of light contour lines followed the form in the way that I wanted them to.
After the thirty minute drawing our drawing time decreased, and this was when the model was in the position shown in the second image here (below). I like how this drawing turned out a lot. It reminds me of (the missing position in) Leonardo da Vinci’s vitruvian man (he could have stuck a triangle in there to). Leonardo da Vinci is an artist that I aspire to be inspired by. He is able to show form in a way that is aesthetically pleasing to me, I like his "unfinished" style.

No comments:

Post a Comment